2009-04-09

FOUND

I found this in my inbox after cleaning it up. I don't remember where I got it, but it's Porcell talking about Schism fanzine, so it's probably from LW. Either way, good read:

When I did the Agnostic Front interview for issue #7, I also wanted to interview John Watson, who was the original AF singer and by that time a notorious Cro-Mags roadie who spraypainted "CROMAGS" on every city block of the lower east side. One day I saw him in the health food store I worked at and told him I was doing an article on AF for my fanzine and asked if I could interview him. He looked right through me for about 10 seconds and then said "You're in maya (illusion) bro... HAAAARE KRISHNAAAA!" and walked away. On a side note, John Watson gets my vote for the best mosher/stagediver in hardcore history. As legends go he invented the circle pit. Whether that's true or not, one thing's for certain, he was the first to come up with the fistpunching "mosh dance" that kids do some 25 years later, but never with as much style as that guy.

I also saw James "The Russian" Kontra, the second singer for AF, on Avenue A one night around the same time and also asked to interview him for Schism. He just looked at me and didn't say a word. I'm not sure if he didn't speak English or wanted to kick my ass, but after about 60 of the most awkward seconds of my life, I just walked away. That dude was not one to be messed with.

Around the time I interviewed Al Barile of SS Decontrol for issue #8, SSD had gained a reputation as "sellouts" due to the releases of the overtly non-hardcore/classic rock vibes of How We Rock and Break It Up. When I asked him the question "How do you feel when people say SSD stabbed hardcore in the back?", the written word doesn't do Al justice, because his response was like an attacking pitbull as he screamed at the top of his lungs into the phone "Ya know what I think? I THINK HARDCORE STABBED US IN THE BACK!" Homeboy was pissed!

1 comment:

thefleX said...

Read all about Kontra in JJ's book.

Blog Archive