2008-04-15

PRINCES AND SAINTS




On Friday April 4th, my friend Louis invited some people to come see his band play at the BlackDot. One of his friends walked south on St-Laurent towards the venue around 7pm. When he reached the corner of Prince Arthur, someone walked up besides him, turned, punched him in the face, and then stabbed him in the neck. It happened so fast that the victim started to punch his assailant, not realising he was fatally wounded until he collapsed. The assailant walked off and was not apprehended.

Anyone from Montreal will attest that the corner of St-Laurent and Prince Arthur is the heart of downtown, and probably the busiest corner on weekend nights. It is well lit and often patrolled by police. How such an act could be committed unnoticed is beyond me. The fact that this incident was not mentioned in the media at all, might be even worse. If you've read this blog before, you know how I feel about the news, and this didn't help alter my stance much. Apparently the fact that the busiest corner in the second largest city in Canada is considered a kill zone by some, isn't news worthy. Sure, you could blame me for being a sensationalist. But something tells me most citizens of Montreal would like to know what goes on in their city besides hockey and separatism.

2 comments:

martin said...

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2008/04/14/qc-mcgillwalksafe.html

We (McGill students) got an e-mail about a few stabbings/assaults in the ghetto (I think prince-arthur and st-L would qualify, barely) telling us to watch our asses. I didn't hear about in the news at all, except they they mentioned it on CBC tonight. Related?

123 said...

I can't believe this wasn't on the news but 800 fucking stories about snow they show ad nauseum.

Blog Archive